Back from the beach

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 | Categories: ,

We had an AWESOME Memorial Day weekend. We decided sort of last-minute to indulge in the long weekend and take a mini-vacation to South Padre Island. It turned out to be a fantastic idea. We left work a few hours early on Friday to make the drive. Calla is not the super-trooper car rider that Brick is. When she'd had enough of being in the car, she let us know - which was an odd experience considering how calm and sweet-natured she usually is.

Booking last-minute had its perks. We rented this huge, penthouse condominium right on the beach. This place was easily big enough for three families. One of the rooms was a photographer's dream. It had big open windows on two sides, both of which were covered with shear white drapes. When the subject was exposed correctly, the backlit drapes made a stark white backdrop. I had a fun time playing in that room for a few shots.





First thing Saturday morning, we hit the beach. We were not at all prepared for the task of carrying two young children and all their miscellaneous stuff through hot sand. I wish I had taken a picture of Bryan toting three beach chairs, a beach umbrella and Brick plus all his beach toys, but I was too busy carrying Calla, a gallon of Gatorade (gotta stay hydrated) and a bag full of beach towels.

After all that work, you'd think we would have stayed on the beach for more than an hour, but we didn't. The kids were tired, Bryan and I weren't feeling well, it just made sense to head back to the condo for awhile.

That afternoon, we headed the Mexico. Yes, Mexico. South Padre is just 25 miles from Matamoros, Mexico. We were too close to pass up the opportunity, so we conquered our fears of being stranded in a foreign nation, paid the toll and walked across the Rio Grande into Mexico. We spent an hour or so browsing the downtown market before we headed back to the homeland. Brick managed to receive more than a few compliments from the locals who were all enamored by how "bonito" he was. He even picked up a balloon courtesy of the nice cab driver who took us from the border crossing to downtown.

That evening, I tried to do a photoshoot with Brick on the beach, but he was totally uninterested, and I think I left out too late to take advantage of the "good" early evening lighting. I ended up with a few cute shots









We also had an opportunity at a nice family photo taken by a couple passing by. Note, I say HAD. The actual photo could have been better - Brick and Calla are totally uninterested and in the original shot, Bryan had his eyes closed. I won't post the original picture because then my Photoshop magic may appear too obvious.



That night, Bryan mixed up some daiquiris after the kids settled into bed, and like the real party-girl I've become, I fell asleep on the couch with a half-finished daiquiri in my hand. Good times.

The next morning, we headed out to the beach again. Only this time, we were prepared. Bryan made several trips downstairs to haul and setup our things while I stayed inside and got the kids ready.

Sleepy Calla enjoyed several naps on the beach and made a truly adorable beach bum.





Brick braved the waves and got fiercer every time he went back into the water. At one point, he turned to me and said "I don't need your help." as he pummeled through chest high waves, and I jumped to protect him from being knocked over. I can't really say that I've had many moments in my life better than hanging out with Brick in the waves.

That evening, we closed out our vacation with a dolphin watching cruise and a totally overpriced meal at Pirate's Landing. But it turns out the $20 fish and chips was worth it after all because if you ask Brick what his favorite part of the trip was, he'll think for a minute, and then he always answers "The pirates!" And that's the kind of stuff memories are made of.

6 comments:

  1. looks like so much fun!

    that brick is definitely bonito. :)

  2. Looks like a great time! I love the sleepy Calla shot.

  3. Great shots that capture wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing.

    We love you all,
    Mom

  4. Sounds like a great trip! beautiful pictures!

  5. Aw sounds fun! You got some really good pix:)

  6. AHHH... Good Old SPI!! I went there for Spring Break my Senior Year of college and that is where I got my little "Dreams" symbol tattoo...fond memories. Looks like you had a blast. I can't wait to take the boys to the beach!