A Good Read

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

After innumerable hours wasted in government offices trying to change my name a few months ago and who knows how many doctor's appointments where I skimmed aimlessly through the lastest issues of Parenting or People for 45 minutes only to spend 15 minutes of face-to-face time with my doctor, it FINALLY occurred to me that I should bring something to read when I know I'll have time to kill.

When I was younger I LOVED to read. Maybe it was the onset of high school and the sudden need to analyze every bit of literature that fell into my lap that killed that enthusiasm. Regardless, I had some time to kill yesterday, so I picked out a copy of J.D. Salinger's Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters from our bookshelf in preparation for my lengthy wait.

I can't tell you the last time I read a novel (or novella, as the case may be). Since college (it's been nearly 5 years now), I've started to read only a handful. And I've only finished 2, maybe 3 that I can recall. Yesterday, I managed to start and finish the story (mind you, it's less than 100 pages long). Nonetheless, there's quite the sense of accomplishment having read something from start to finish. I've decided that I would like to start reading for leisure more frequently. Appropriately enough, now is probably a good time to picking up just such a hobby. I'm not sure how much "downtime" I'll have as a new mother, but something tells me that there are bound to opportunities for me to read.

If anyone has any recommendations for a good book, I'm open to suggestions!

0 comments: