Three

Friday, February 27, 2009 | Categories:



Brick is officially three. I'm hoping to have a chance to post some pictures from his birthday week+, but considering I have yet to post a single picture from Calla's first birthday, I'm not going to make any guarantees.

In genuine Brick-fashion, our (not so) little guy took his birthday in stride, deciding a few weeks before his birthday that it was time to hit a major toddler milestone - potty training! Our kiddo is officially in underwear. He's been mostly accident-free for several weeks now. We're still using pullups for naps and bedtime, but we can handle that.

He's also absorbing EVERYTHING. I don't think there's a thing this kid misses. The morning of his birthday, I woke him up excitedly, wished him a happy birthday and explained to him that he was three. Bryan chimed in, "Do you know what that means?" to which Brick responded "Uhm, yeah! I get to play with choking hazards!" Silly boy.

By now, he knows all his colors and lots of different shapes. He's also learned how to spell his name (though he likes to say it's "B-Ooh-I-C-K" - not sure what he has against "R"). These days in school, he's learning his letters and how to count. He's known how to recite the numbers for awhile now, but now he's actually grasping the concept of having multiple objects in front of him and counting them out.

He's starting to understand the concepts of "rude" and "polite" and not just in the "please and thank you" sense. Somehow he'd picked up saying "Whatever." which I am not a fan of hearing from our saucy three-year-old. We had a little chat about the use of whatever, and now whenever the urge hits him to say "Whatever." he tends to follow it up with "... you say. I said, 'Whatever you say.' It's good to use 'whatever' in a sentence." He's also quick to correct us when we use the word "stupid" - another one he'd picked up and was using much too frequently in a not-so-nice context.

He loves his baby sister and tells us all the time that he would like more babies (especially a brother) - and a dog - a boxer, to be exact. He and Calla play together all the time. He seems to love taking care of her and especially loves making her giggle.

So, with the (not so) terrible twos behind us, we are definitely looking forward to the year ahead. We couldn't be prouder of our little man.

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Brick!!!

    the choking hazard comment made me laugh - so funny!

  2. Happy 3rd Birthday Brick!

    Looking SO big and still adorable - and apparently has had a haircut!

  3. Aw, happy birthday, big guy! I can't believe our babies are 3 now. It's so fun reading about everything he's doing. Way to go on the potty training! He needs to give Rhett some motivation ;)

  4. Happy belated birthday! How could we forget yours since you share the same birthday as Caedmon!

    We're getting a lot of "we don't say stupid" from Caedmon whenever it slips out of our mouths as well.

    I'm glad you guys are doing well!