Another fun "Austin-esque" weekend
Sunday, June 08, 2008 | Categories: Austin, Family
In case you've failed to notice, our family likes to take full advantage of the diversity and activity Austin has to offer. It's rare that we spend a weekend just sitting around the house. This weekend was no exception. On Friday night, Bryan and I saw a movie, in the theatres, together for the first time in almost a year. We caught the new Indiana Jones flick at the Alamo Drafthouse. The Alamo Drafthouse is a unique movie-going experience. For one, they serve beer (and food) and delicious $5 milkshakes made with real Blue Bell ice cream. You've gotta get their early though. Bryan and I almost skipped out on the movie because the only two seats we could find together were in the very first row. Fortunately for us, some folks a few rows back moved over and made some extra room.
Saturday, we hit the pool to celebrate Tyler's birthday. Brick thinks Tyler's the greatest. He insisted on wrapping his present in blue AND red paper, and decorated the paper all by himself. Although, he kept saying all day that he was "going to take his birthday from him," Brick was well-behaved throughout the party.
The evening, Bryan suggested we all head out to the Hill Country Galleria since they're having a summer concert series of sorts. We had no idea who'd be playing, but the live music in Austin rarely disappoints, and we don't have many opportunities to enjoy it with the kids in tow. So, off we went.
While we were waiting for the "headliner," Bryan joked about it being some big-name band .. turns out, he wasn't too far off. We were both a little shocked when the emcee introduced Fastball. In fact, I convinced that we just misheard the announcement and commented that he must have said "Fast Bob." A few bars into "Out of my Head" and I realized, "Wow. He really did say Fastball." Gotta love that about Austin. Where else could you see a Grammy-nominated, nationally recognized band at a mall, with maybe 100 other people in the audience, all for free?!










Jen | June 13, 2008 at 8:47 AM
Wow, I miss stuff like this...I saw so many awesome concerts in Austin and usually for free or close to it. Gotta love that city!