29 and counting

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 | Categories:

Today mark's my 29th birthday. It's a little surreal to know that 30's just around the corner. To be honest, my 20's feel like one big blur. In the past 9 years, I attended and finished college, started a career, got married, became a mom, moved across the country and became a mother of two.

As far as birthdays rank, I can't complain about this one. Bryan woke me up with the irritating sound of static through the monitor. I had completely forgotten it was my birthday and thought he was just trying to be annoying (I'm not much of a morning person). Turns out, he was trying to remind Brick of "the plan" and didn't want me to overhear it. A few moments later, Brick came into our room singing "Happy Birthday" (kind of). Nonetheless, it was adorable. My birthday present from the boys this year was a new lens for my camera. I'm pretty excited about it, so hopefully it'll mean more pictures in the near future.

A little later, Brick, Calla and I headed to storytime at the library. Brick had a lot of fun listening to stories, singing songs and popping bubbles. We thought it would be a good idea to meet Bryan for lunch afterwards, but it turned out to be a catastrophe. We've taken both the kids to a restaurant before, but Brick was pretty restless and a rowdy toddler in a restaurant with white table cloths and business men and women was not a good combination. By the time we rounded up the entire crew and headed back to the car, we'd wasted 45 minutes, and still hadn't had any lunch. At that point, Calla got fussy, which made Brick fussy, which made Mommy and Daddy fussy, so we decided to call it a day. Bryan headed back to the office, and I headed home with the kids.

The afternoon picked up. I was welcomed home to flowers from my in-laws (thanks Jerry, Jodi, Mackenzie and Olivia!) I also got to spend a little time in the gym thanks to a little babysitting swap I've arranged with my neighbor (thanks Mar!) The childcare center at the gym is amazing. It's this humungous playspace for kids. I think Brick really enjoyed a little change of pace with some new faces and fun new toys.

We had grand plans for dinner, but there just wasn't enough time for all of us to get ready. It's pretty amazing how much 2 kids can slow you down. We're thinking maybe this weekend we'll get out and do something special and if not, there's always next year, right?

5 comments:

  1. Next year Brick will be three and Calla will be running around, so you might not count on more sanity! Definately get a babysitter for the "3-0"!
    Glad you had a nice day.

  2. Happy Birthday!! 29 is nothing--I just turned 32 on the 13th :)

    next year you can celebrate twice as big to make up for this year!

  3. Happy Birthday!!!

  4. Happy Belated Birthday! I LOVE that Brick sang you Happy Birthday! That has to be the best gift a momma can get. :)

  5. Happy belated! Sorry your bday lunch and dinner didn't work out, but I hope you can get out this weekend for some celebrating. And don't worry, 30s aren't so bad ;)