Overdue
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
Our baby is "officially" overdue. Yesterday marked my 40th week of pregnancy. I read somewhere that somewhere in the range of 65% of all babies are born later than their technical due date. How much later is really the question I'm most concerned with these days. I found an interesting article that indicates that the father's genetic makeup determines the baby's gestational period. So, maybe Bryan's to blame for this waiting game.
At any rate, I'm feeling much more patient than I thought I'd be to see this day come and go. My mom will be in town tomorrow morning, and I have another doctor's appointment tomorrow afternoon, so we'll see once again how well (if at all) we're progressing.
For the most part, I'm feeling good and positive about the baby's impending arrival. My maternity leave thus far has been less than thrilling. Since I've been having a little trouble falling asleep at night, I've decided to avoid napping during the day. There was only so much housework I could do before there was nothing left to be done. I've most recently succumbed to Tivo'ing anything and everything remotely interesting and watching it during the day. Lucky for me, approximately 40% of the Discovery Health Channel's programming is related to babies, labor and delivery, but even that gets old quick.
I recently stumbled across There & Back, an MTV reality series following the life of Ashley Parker Angel, former member of the boy band O-Town. The show itself is actually kind of pathetic. Here's this poor guy who made it BIG in a pre-fabricated boy band, and now he's trying to make a career on his own as a solo artist. I imagine he has a lot of talent, but apparently not enough - although having a reality show on MTV has been known to boost a career or two.
I got into the show because, well, Ashley's girlfriend is pregnant. On the episode I watched today, she blew up at Ashley for doing something really nice (taking her to get a belly cast) and then doing something mildly stupid, but forgivable (leaving the digital camera behind). Their interactions remind me so much of mine and Bryan's. It's great to see I'm not alone in the craziness that comes from being 9 months pregnant. It also helps me put into perspective how all of this must feel for Bryan. He's been such a trouper throughout this whole pregnancy. No doubt a good part of the strength and security I've felt these last 9 months has come from him.






0 comments:
Post a Comment